This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Building Feature tree

1 reply to this topic

thomaz

thomaz
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 01:48

Wondering if I can pick somebody's brain :) Looking for ideas and suggestions.

Here is a scenario... I have a set of applications with its own executables and DLLs. I would like to package each of these applications into its own MSI package. The individual application installation kits are developed by different development groups, and hence might have the same feature names, public properties, etc. Now what I want is to be able to view the product >> features from all the individual MSIs in a single tree control and be able to select/unselect features, set the target directories, etc. I am wanting to display all the user dialogs afront, collect all the user inputs and launch the individual installations one by one. The overall selection tree can/should be built by an external program - MSI or a regular C++ executable. This external program will not really know anything about the product/feature names possibly until run-time.

Is this something that is doable? Any suggestions on the approach I should take.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 January 2002 - 10:25

Yes, you can do this but it is a non trivial task to do well.

I suggest you might the the user sequence in your own code.  Use the Msi function and Msi database functions to gather and set information as required, install your own user interface handler and call MsiInstallProduct with suitable parameters to install each product.

I am sorry but I do not have the knowledge, experience or time to offer detailed advice.  I am just stating that what you want to do is possible, but not easy.