This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Localizable registry values upgrade problem

1 reply to this topic

Karim.MacDonald

Karim.MacDonald
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 21:28

Hi there,

Our product installs with a set of localized (English or Japanese) registry values, so that the user can change the app's default text in certain places. This is how we do it:

(In the string table)
IDS_MY_STRING - a string resource that has English and Japanese translations.

(In the Property table)
PropMyString - a private property, whose value is {IDS_MY_STRING} to get the localized string resource.

(In the Registry table)
MyRegValue - a registry entry, whose value is [PropMyString] to get the initialized property.

This approach works perfectly for a fresh install, but if I perform a Japanese upgrade then any new registry values get written as English. If I do an MsiGetProperty() during the install, then I find that PropMyString always holds the English string, and if I try to hack it by doing MsiSetProperty(PropMyString, @IDS_MY_STRING) from a script CA in InstallExecute then the property changes, but the registry value still comes out in English.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Karim

Karim.MacDonald

Karim.MacDonald
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:09

(Addendum)
Oh well, no joy. If anyone else ever has this prob, I'm afraid I gave up, tho' you might try your luck with public (all-caps) properties. I've decided to let the app create the registry entries on first usage, which gives more robust behaviour anyway rolleyes.gif
btw, product used was IS Developer 7.04