This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Install Problem

2 replies to this topic

pjaiswal

pjaiswal
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 00:20

Hi,

I am having problem running a Custom Action during Silent install. The Custom action calls a Wisescript exe file which in turn runs a bat file.
1.The bat file has commands to run regasm on a few .NET assemblies and put a few files in GAC.
2.The Custom action is placed in "Execute Deferred" before the "InstallFinalize" step and is wrapped with an if-then-end condition to check for a particular feature.
3.The wise script exe runs the bat file by using the "Execute program" action which calls cmd.exe and I have set it to run in "Hidden" mode and "Wait for the program to exit"

This CA action runs perfectly fine when run normally. But when running in silent mode using this command:

msiexec /i "\\full path to msi" /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL

this CA does not get run. Am I missing something?

Thanks for help.
Pragya

pjaiswal

pjaiswal
  • Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 00:40

I dont know if this would help but changing the option to qr instead fo qb also works fine.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 15:34

First off: running a Wise script to call cmd.exe to run a .bat file looks a bit morte complicated than necessary. Why don't you run cmd.exe as EXE cusdtom action without Wise script (if .bat is really needed)?

I don't know for sure why your custom action doesn't run, but there's an important difference between UI levels:

- full ui and qr both run the UI and the Execute sequence
- qb and q opnly runs the Execute sequence, the UI sequence is skuipped

So if you are setting any information in the UI sequence this will not be set in qb and q mode.

Also, generating a log file of the install could help to diagnose the problem.