This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Problem with Default installation directory

3 replies to this topic

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:10

I am working on a basic MSI project. My default installation directory directory is [Installdir]\Application1. All Dll's get installed in directory Application1.

I want to place one text file in directory [Installdir]. When i do default installation the file is placed in correct directory i.e c:\program files\[installdir].

But if i select custom installation and change default location to d:\program files\, the file gets installed at original location say c:\program files\[installdir]

I am not able to detect why for custom installation file is getting installed at default location.

I am using installshield 2009 Premier edition.

Edited by Amarjeet, 05 May 2009 - 09:35.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:31

First: are we talking about Installdir or INSTALLDIR ?

Does your custom location dialog set Installdir (or INSTALLDIR), or does it set the directory property which represents [Installdir]\Application1 ?

Are you using the built in dialog to change the destination folder, or a self built dialog or custom action?

Amarjeet

Amarjeet
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:33

Please refer attachment. I am facing problem with excel.exe.config file.

Attached Images

• Files_And_Folders.jpg

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:03

So it's INSTALLDIR, that's what I thought (but I wanted to double check - note that upper case/lower case *does* matter in Windows Installer).

Are you using the Custom Installation (FeatureTree) dialog to change the destination?

If you look at the properties of a componet that goes to [INSTALLDIR]\Application1 you'll notice that it uses a different directory identifier, e.g. {APPLICATION1}. This doesn't have to be the same as the destination setting of the feature. Change the feature's destination property to INSTALLDIR. The feature tree dialog will only change the destination property of the selected feature, in your case probably [APPLICATION1]. If you set the feature destination to INSTALLDIR the dialog will change this directory (which is what you want). The files will still be installed in APLICATION1 which is a subfolder of INSTALLDIR.