This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Uninstall

3 replies to this topic

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 13 December 2001 - 00:53

Okay, here's my newbie question for the day.

Can one truly run an uninstall in silent mode?

I tried creating a reponse file and subsequently making use of it, but all it seemed to really do was remove the progress bar while the setup re-initialized.

blassos

blassos
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 20:39

Wow you too were a newbie once... Im sure you figured this out by now... but the best way to create a silent uninstall
is conditionally display all dialog boxes and progress bars.  Personally I use /silent and test for this in the COMMANDLINE
variable.  I also let the users have different type of status bars /statusnone /statusold /statusnew.  One last thing is that you will need to remember is to convert the command line args to lowercase so stupidities like /Silent will match what you are searching for.  The response files are bad for several reasons... if the scenario does not play out exactly as you have recorded the session (i.e. a confirmation message is displayed differently or not at all) it really makes the results questionable.

Regards,
O

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 13:59

Thanks for the reply and I understand what you are getting at, but this was for a third third party install to which I don't have the source code.
user posted image

dc

dc
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 19:32

I just incorporated a silent uninstall of a minor install from my main installer.The minor gets launched silently, the only thing that shows up is the box saying" trying to uninstall, please be patient" The greatest hurdle was making sure the .iss file matched up to the responses for the dialogs.  I used the help files to make my .iss file.