This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

USB AutoRun in windows 7,XP and Vista OS

3 replies to this topic

yazhisai

yazhisai
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:54

Hi,
I am using MSI installscript project to develop adn to install my application.but it should auto launch from USB when ever user is plugging the usb in target system.

I have followed the below steps to achieve
1)in release i have selected CD-ROM and selected generate autorun to yes in the release configuration settings
2)and placing the setup.exe along with autorun.inf in USB.

But still autorun is not working in any of the above OS.

Please help me and explain me how to achieve this.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:36

A recent security update from Microsoft disabled autorun functionality from write media such as USB drives. It should work from a CD however.

yazhisai

yazhisai
  • Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:27

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2011-05-05 10:36)
A recent security update from Microsoft disabled autorun functionality from write media such as USB drives. It should work from a CD however.

But the same Autorun.inf is working fine for Windows vista and its not working for XP and windows 7 alone.

I guess that windows 7 by default focus no option when ever we launch any exe to run, may that could be the reason why it is not launching during autorun because he will follow up the NO option and quit.

Is there any other reason behind this XP and windows 7.
I have to provide proper reason and proof for this, to convince reg disabled autorun functionality in USB.
Please help me if you know any web site reg this.

Edited by yazhisai, 06 May 2011 - 08:33.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 14:28

I guess that windows 7 by default focus no option when ever we launch any exe to run, may that could be the reason why it is not launching during autorun because he will follow up the NO option and quit.
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean with this. Could you please re-phrase it?

Do all your test systems have all the latest Microsoft updates installed? And you didn't modify the default autorun behaviour?