This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

PFTW - Can I extract files without installing

3 replies to this topic

mikeq

mikeq
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 19:25

Can I extract the files without running the installation in a self extracting executable made with Package For The Web?

Where is the documentation that describes the commandline arguments for PFTW if there are any commandline arguments?

Thanks in advance
-- Mike

mikeq

mikeq
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 15:44

I should have mentioned that I am talking about the version of PFTW that comes with InstallShield 6.3. I can't find any documentation for that product.

I did manage to download PFTW v4 from installshield. The help file lists the following commandline parameters, but none of them seem to work with the version that comes with IS 6.3.

-e<executable file name> or /e<executable file name>

Specifies the executable file that runs when your package is extracted on the end user’s system. If you use this option and do not specify a filename, the package does not launch any file. Using this command line option is equivalent to making an entry in the Filename combo box at build time.

-f<target location> or /f<target location>

Specifies the default location to which the package's files are saved. Using this command line option is equivalent to selecting the Copy To Folder option and making an entry in its combo box at build time.

Still frustrated!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 19:57

If the package isn't password protected you can extract the files using WinZIP.

Else you could launch it, and cancel the installation on the first dialog (after PFTW's extraction dialog)

mikeq

mikeq
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2002 - 20:05

Thanks Strfan, this helps, but I need to be able to have this done in a bat file. CommandLine arguments would have been a big help. I find it hard to believe that they don't exist. Winzip has a utility that enables commandLine arguments to extract files, but that does not work on these types of files. I'll have to have my users extract the files manually with winzip. That stinks.