This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

installation starts always in maintenance mode

7 replies to this topic

erez

erez
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 13:59

I've created an installation based on an older installation. I've changed the Product code and product version.
When running it on a computer with the old version, it starts in maintenance mode. Why?

JG1210

JG1210
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 15:47

I struggled with this also.  This is what you must do - change the package code, product code, and product version.  Then, using the direct editor, you need to make an entry in the upgrade code.  You can find help on the upgrade table in Windows Installer help.

Good luck!

erez

erez
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 16:40

thanks. That is what I did. But now, it updates only some of my files. It didn't update some dll files which were in the system32 dir. Do you have an idea?

JG1210

JG1210
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2001 - 17:12

Not sure by the info you wrote why they weren't updated.  I do know that if you are updating Windows files, they should be updated through merge modules.  Are you sure that the file should have been updated, according to Windows Installer rules?

erez

erez
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 08:26

The files which were not updated are dll files which I created and put in system32. I can see that they were not updated according to the size of the files. Does it have anything to do with the RemoveExistingProducts action (it is the last action in my execute sequence).

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 10:11

Have the dll versions been updated.  Msi will not updare them if the version has not increased.

RemoveExistingProducts is not responsible for your dlls not being upgraded..

RemoveExistingProducts runs the previous version of the installation to remove the old product and features indicated by the upgrade table. (Normally no components are removed because they are still  in use by  your new version).  

erez

erez
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 10:28

I have some components which contain dll files. The dll files are not the same files as in the old version. Should the installation detect that the files were changed?

erez

erez
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2001 - 10:40

I just understood whant you meant about the dll versions. I'll check it.

thanks
              Erez