This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installation fails with error 1603

1 reply to this topic

dorelsturm

dorelsturm
  • Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:53

Hi there,

I have a problem here regarding ISScript and installing an MSI package using a different user account than the current logged on user.

Here is the case where I can reproduce the error:

1. my .msi package is a Basic MSI Project created with Install Shield 9. I use some scripts in the project (custom actions)
2. Currently logged on user is DOMAIN\UserA
3. try to install my .msi package (using some deployment tools) under DOMAIN\UserA credentials is working
4. try to install my .msi package (using some deployment tools) under DOMAIN\UserB credentials fails.
msiexec.exe is started under UserB account but the installation fails with this lines in the log file:

Action start 09:33:00: INSTALL.
Action start 09:33:00: ISMsiServerStartup.
Action ended 09:33:00: ISMsiServerStartup. Return value 1.
Action start 09:33:00: ISStartup.
1: The InstallScript engine version currently installed on this machine is adequate.
1: Event 'E330260' is created
1: GetInstallDriver, Can not find InstallDriver in ROT table, Return Code = 0x800401e3
1: {CDA2B651-FA2F-47E6-BA8A-D690C096E064}
1: Extract supporting files
1: Failed to extract _IsUser.dll, Ignore it.
1: Failed to extract IGdi.dll, Ignore it.
1: Ev2010008
1: ISMsiServerStartup Failure, Failed to Open the shutdown event, Error = 0x36b7
1: MsiServerStartup failed. Abort installation.
Action ended 09:33:01: ISStartup. Return value 3.
Action ended 09:33:01: ISMsiServerStartup. Return value 1603.
Action start 09:33:01: ISCleanUpFatalExit.
1: Shutting down the PRC server...
1: RPC runtime reported exception 0x6ba
Action ended 09:33:01: ISCleanUpFatalExit. Return value 3.
Action ended 09:33:01: INSTALL. Return value 3.

the command line used to install my .msi package is
msiexec.exe /I "my.msi" /l*"logfile.log" /qn

Both UserA and UserB have administrator rights on the computer and UserB is the domain admin.
As I see here the ISScript "service" could not be started. I think this is a problem in Install Shield ISScript because I found this:
in dcomcnfg.exe for InstallShield InstallDriver properties the user account to launch this application is set to "The interactive user".
If I change this property to "The launching user" then everything is working.

This problem seems to be similar to the one discussed in http://community.ins...ad.php?t=149462

My questions are:

- is this a problem in Install Shield 9? Is this fixed in next versions of Install Shield?
- how can I catch this error? What is msiexec.exe returning in this case?

Thanks for your help.

Peter Kosenko

Peter Kosenko
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 21:56

Did you discover the exact nature of the problem? I am having it in InstallShield 11.5. IDriverT.exe seems to fail under certain circumstances with the "Cannot find Driver" error message, then tosses an internal error dialog which does not in the least effect my installer's installing.

Patrick Painter in the InstallShield community seems to suggest that it has something to do with IDriverT being unable to deal with domain users. So I am going to try that.

However, it stops the show with my conversion of at 9.0 installer to 11.5.

Peter Kosenko