This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can I create a minor upgrade entry for QuickPatch?

5 replies to this topic

arshadtaylor

arshadtaylor
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 13:33

Hi All!

So here's my dilemma. I have a software, say version 4.0 of it, for which I create a patch to give version 4.0.1 of it.

Now let us say version 4.5 of this same software is already developed. Can I accommodate version 4.0.1 of the software as a minor upgrade entry? In other words, can I perform a minor upgrade from 4.0.1->4.5 just like I could normally for 4.0->4.5?

Please let me know, this would be of great assistance.

Thanks!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 17:09

You could do this as a QuickPatch - as mentioned in the subject.

But a Minor Update entry should also work. However you need to have a 4.0.1 version of your InstallShield project, probably created based on the 4.0 project, not 4.5. You can't create a minor update entry from 4.0 to 4.0.1 using your 4.5 project. A minor update entry always is the difference between an older version (which you specify) and the current version represented by your InstallShield project.

arshadtaylor

arshadtaylor
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 17:51

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2009-09-29 17:09)
You could do this as a QuickPatch - as mentioned in the subject.

But a Minor Update entry should also work. However you need to have a 4.0.1 version of your InstallShield project, probably created based on the 4.0 project, not 4.5. You can't create a minor update entry from 4.0 to 4.0.1 using your 4.5 project. A minor update entry always is the difference between an older version (which you specify) and the current version represented by your InstallShield project.

Hi Stefan,

Thanks again for replying to my post smile.gif. Let me make the scenario a little clearer:

Versions 4.0 and 4.5 are alreadyy developed. I have just made a QuickPatch for 4.0, which I call 4.0.1.

My 4.5 accommodates an upgrade from 4.0 as a minor upgrade entry (obviously, which references the msi file for 4.0).

Can a create a corresponding second minor upgrade entry in 4.5, for upgrade to 4.5 from 4.0.1? (ie, can this minor upgrade entry reference only the msi file for 4.0.1 and still work?)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 07:11

Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. That should work if you have a .msi for 4.0.1.

arshadtaylor

arshadtaylor
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:59

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2009-09-30 07:11)
Ah, sorry for misunderstanding. That should work if you have a .msi for 4.0.1.

That's the thing: will the QuickPatch with which I make 4.0.1 generate an msi for 4.0.1?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:19

I'm not sure. It probably does, but maybe only temporary. If you don't have one you could use Orca to open the 4.0 msi and then load the patch to create a 4.0.1 msi.