This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

_LaunchAppEx & LaunchAppAndWait

3 replies to this topic

burked

burked
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 15:47

I'm calling a silent installation of SQL Server 2000.  The installation of sql finishes, but the setupsql.exe remains in task manager and never goes away (this is using both LaunchAppAndWait as well as _LaunchAppEx ).  Using _LaunchAppEx, if I set the timeout to 10 minutes, I get an exit code of STILL_ACTIVE, even though the installation has completed.  When I run the exact same command line outside of InstallShield (5.53 BTW), the install works fine.

Any ideas why?

thanks,

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 July 2001 - 19:21

Maybe you do not have enough on the command line.
This is what I used from IS 5.53 to launch MS SQL Server 7.0 Setup (and service packs).
I used a similar line from IS 6.0 to launch MS SQL Server 8.0 Setup.  I have not yet applied MS SQL 8.0 Server Service Pack 1, but that is next week...
I did not launch MS SQL Server 8.0 Setup with IS 5.53.
See if you are missing part of the command line.

// For workstation want the string to be something like:
//    SetupSql.Exe k=Dk -s -SMS -f1 "<Iss>.Iss"
Sprintf(l_sCommandLine,"%s \"%s\"", "-s -m -z -SMS -f1", l_sIssFile);

// For Server want the string to be something like:
//    SetupSql.Exe -s -SMS -f1 "<Iss>.Iss"    

// For client install want the string to be something like:
//    SetupSql.Exe -s -SMS -f1 "<Iss>.Iss"    

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 27 July 2001 - 10:31

SQL Server uses IS5 for installation. Calling one IS5 setup from another IS5 setup using tzhe -SMS option is known to cause this problem (sub installation process never finishes). I think there's an article in installShield's knowledge base that shows a workaround (basically launch the setup with NOWAIT and poll for the windows handle). Another option would be to use the -m parameter and poll for the result code in the .mif file.

Of course this defeats the purpose of getting the exit code. But I don't think it would return anything useful anyway. I think there are other documented methods of knowing the outcome if SQL setup (e.g. reboot required etc.).

Sorry this is all very vague - I don't have the details right at hand.