This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer Problem

6 replies to this topic

KDD2007

KDD2007
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 18:12

I am having a problem installing a program on my computer. I have posted this problem in different news groups but had no success solving it. I came across your website researching my issue. If you can help me or direct me to another website it would be greatly appreciated.

This is the message I get when trying install a new program on my computer.

"The installer was interrupted before “My Application” could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again"

I went to my computers services.
I stopped and restarted the Windows Installer. When I ran my application, it came up with the same error as above.

I went to the Microsoft support site and downloaded the newest Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (I believe this is the correct version for my operating system)
I ran the new installer but I received the same error message as before.

My system is about two years old and I have had no previous problems installing software.
Windows 2000 Professional
AMD Athlon 64 processor

It was suggested that I run both msiexec /unregister and msiexec /regserver. I did this but had the same results.

It was suggested that I downloaded and run the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility program and I did. It looks like the cleanup Utility is used to remove Windows Installer configuration information of programs already Installed. The program I am trying to install is not on the Installed Products list of the Clean Up Utility. My problem is that I can’t install the new program without receiving the message

I have also talked with the company who developed the software, this software has been out for several years and this is the first time this issue has come up. They are also stumped.

Thank you
KDD2005

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 12:51

I am afraid it is impossible to debug this without more information. Please try to create an installation log file as explained here: http://www.installsi...ifaq/a/1022.htm
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

KDD2007

KDD2007
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 16:17

Glytzhkof

Thank you for your reply

As you suggested I went to the link that explained how to make a log file for Windows Installer. The instructions stated to launch the setup file like this:
For Windows Installer 3.0 or above
msiexec.exe /i C:\Path\Your.msi /L*vx C:\Your.log

I take this to mean that I should modify the existing setup file included with my software.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the software setup files. The program that I am trying to install was downloaded from the internet. The downloaded file is an .exe file. The software company states, once downloaded run the file to extract the setup files and automatically launch the setup. When I run that .exe file I get the Installer interrupted error posted in my original post.

Is there another way to create a log file?

Thank you
KDD2007

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:38

It sounds like you have a packaged set of installer files. If you browse to your temp folder before you run the EXE (Start > Run > %TMP%) you should see a folder appear when you subsequently run your EXE.

Copy this folder and follow the logging instructions pointing at this copied set of files.

Good luck,
Gareth

KDD2007

KDD2007
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 17:27

Gareth

Thank you for the reply.

I ran the temp folder as you suggested and left it up for viewing. I then ran my EXE. Unfortunately, I did not see any folders appear after I ran the EXE.

Could I be doing something wrong?

Thank you
KDD2007

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 17:21

In this case the files probably get extracted elsewhere. Use FileMon from SysInternals to see where.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 17:24

Alternatively use the registy method that's described on the same page.