This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

User changing the location of a file installed

4 replies to this topic

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 17:32

Hi all,
Whenever the user changes the location of a file installed with my installation, then reboots, the windows installer dialog "INstalling...." appears and it is very difficult to get rid of , users usally have to remove and then reinstall.
Is there an option to set which allows files to be moved about, all the files in this installation have a value of  "No" for the property "Permanent" .

Thanks for any help
Bernadette

Kurt Schneider

Kurt Schneider
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 18:18

Hi Bernadette,

The Windows Installer resilency can at times be annoying.  I ran into the same trouble as you did.  I had to eventually take the file out of the install.  Next I copied it onto the CD that contained my installation.  During the setup I wrote a Custom Action to physically copy the file from the CD to the machine where I needed it to be.  This enabled my application to run and it still let me move the file around without trying to reinstall it.  During the uninstallation I had write another Custom Action to remove the file.

Hope this helps

Kurt Schneider

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 18:27

thanks Kurt
Ill give that a go

Leigh Ravenhall

Leigh Ravenhall
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 January 2002 - 23:12

Is the file a Keyfile?  I was under the impression that Windows Installer Resiliency check for KeyFiles, then reinstalled the component if the keyfile was missing.  Have you tried not setting the KeyFile?

bernadettefearon

bernadettefearon
  • Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 11:46

HI
I tried the Key file unfortunately to no avail, I cleared all the keyfiles in my installation, but still if I move any files, then restart my computer the installer tries to reinstall.