This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

File Groups

5 replies to this topic

dsaxena

dsaxena
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 22:13

Hello All,

I have built an installer using IS7. I have a some file groups in there. The files in these grps have common root directory. For example files in say Grp1 comes from C:\Main\Root\Grp1\ and files in say Grp2 comes from C:\Main\Root\Grp2\ .

Now if my installShield project is copied on different machine and that machine has the same directory structure on 'D' drive then the static file links will give error. The directory structure is going to be same i.e. SomeDrive:\Main\Root\..

Is there a way I can change the path of the files in the file group without adding files again. I was thinking of using a standard variable which will hold the root path and all the files will then just take this root path and corresponding folders. Is there a way i can do that ... or will I have to manually add everything again everytime I put my project in another machine ?

I hope the problem is not confusing.

Thanks in advance
DK

Ioana

Ioana
  • Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 14:18

Hello,
I would like to help but I'm a little bit confused...
Do you want to variate the source or the destination path for your setup files?
For the source path, did you tried the dynamic links?
You have the possibility to add new variablles, but you will need to rebuild the installer on each mashine ...

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 15:22

Iona - I believe dsaxena would like to have the path to the included files in a file group start with a variable. That way she could have the same directory structure on different machine on different drives and still be able to build the instaler without changing every file group.

Dsaxena - Short answer to your questions is No. I don't believe you can do that. However, there may be a better way of doing what you want to do.

I personally set up all files as a network resource. When I add the file, I do not point to it directly on my machine, but rather go through the network to point back to my machine. So my paths end-up looking like this: \\MyComputerName\ProductFolder\ComponentFolder\Release\component.dll
Then, when I build the installer on another machine, as long as it has a connection and permission to the ProductFolder, it will grab it from there.

Hope that helps, and I can go further into my schema if you desire.
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

dsaxena

dsaxena
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 15:33

Xitch,

You have got my problem right. I guess I can go thru network and link the files to my computer .... then other developers will be using my files instead of their own version. I will have to talk to my boss ... I am sure he wont agree to that. He wants to build the installer in his machine with his files. and he has the directory structure in the damn D drive.

Ok ... can I do this in a later version of InstallShield .... or is it not possible at all ??

Thanks for the help

Xitch13

Xitch13
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 15:43

hmm. Not sure if it's available in a later version. I currently use Pro 7, and am trying to convince purchasing that I really need IS 11.

In house here, all the developers hand off they're components to built on the release machine to ensure correct versioning, correct media, etc., etc. Sounds like if your boss wants to build and installer on his machine with his files, he should mirror your placement of the files. That would be the easiest solution. Copy and Paste could be his easiest way to solve the probelm. I'm surprised he didn't think of that.

Oh, and if he complains then that all his resources, includes, and libraries will not match his paths set up in header files and such, tell him a good coder never hard codes the path. They should be \ProductFolder\ComponentFolder\Release\resource.dll and not C:\ProductFolder\ComponentFolder\Release\resource.dll. Tjat way he can easily just in C: or D: in the tools section
There is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent. (Mao Tse Tung)

dsaxena

dsaxena
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 17:01

Looks like Ioana was right. I missed the Dynamic Link Property for the file groups. You can have a variable pointing to the root directory and then you can add files dynamically. The other developer then just have to change the variable and compile the installshield project again.

Thanks Ioana.

Xitch ... All our files are in perforce cvs and he has done the mapping in his D drive. So the network file would not be an option. I tried with dynamic files ... although its lot of pain. You have to explicitly add files if you dont want all the files in that folder. For example I have like 10 exes and 6 dll and 8 xmls in that folder and I want only 5 exes 4 dlls and say 6 xml. I cant specify otion like *.exe or *.dll then it wud add all. or I have to explictly say which files not to include. anyway it works as my boss wanted it to work .... so he is happy and so i m happy.

Thanks u guys....