This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Let the games begin

2 replies to this topic

ahilden

ahilden
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2002 - 06:36

I'm about to begin the task of producing patches for our products on windows install.  What we have is a product line up that is vertical in nature.  ie. image A is in image B which is in image C, which is in image D etc.  (It continues about up to K).

What I need to have is a 1 single patch that can update image A to new version of image A, image B to a new version of image B, etc.

We also need a way to deliver quick hotfixes.  Given that a single patch on a single one of our images, takes about an hour to produce, we will likely go with our own non MSI oriented delivery method.

Oh, and to fit in our processes, this patch producing and maintenance must be completely automated.  We can't afford a week of someones time each time we need to produce a set of these fixpaks.

Any votes on IF these goals can be met?  Anyone have any tips, starter, or has anyone done something similar before?  I will post my results as time goes on.  I will say I am not that optimisic about this.:(

Cheers,
Andre

Dave I

Dave I
  • Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 July 2002 - 17:24

When you say
vertical in nature
do you mean a patch that is accumulative in nature.   So the changes in the last patch will be in the new patch,etc?

Also is your original product one .msi or multiple msi installations.

I can sympathise with you need for quick fixes with our old InstallShield 5.5 installation we just created mini installs to "bolt on" files to our released product.  Now with msi we are having to change our entire process and resort to less frequent Service packs, the patch wizard alone takes in excess of an hour!!!  Our only hope is a lengthy but simple automated process.

I can guarantee that if you try to fudge you original installation it will all end in tears! Trust me I have tried.  Whenever you divert from the MSI way then something will catch you out down the line that you did not consider.

It sounds like we are doing very similar things, would you like to pool ideas?  Drop me a message.

Dave.

ahilden

ahilden
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 23:04

Hello Dave, thanks for the reply - my reply is a bit late - busy with other things.  Here's where I have got - I know have a process whereby I automatically perform admin install and create the patch by updating the TargetImages and UpgradedImages, and Properties Table in the PCP based on an input file. - This part seems to work without too much trouble besides the fact that it takes about 12 hours to complete.

It is very difficult to explain why both the building of our images and the patching of them takes longer than it takes to actually build the code that is in the product, but that's what we have to work with.

My current problem is that when I apply a patch, it seems to think that the Features are in Advertised state.  So it does not actually update any files etc.  Sure enough after the patch - all of my features are in advertise state - but they weren't that way before patch.  I'm running the patch with
msiexec /p patch.msp REINSTALLMODE=emus REINSTALL=ALL

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew