This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Changing default installation path by user

2 replies to this topic

ilovecolor

ilovecolor
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:56

Hello!

Maybe someone can give me some tipps:
I´m using InstallShield X Express Edition, the installations run mainly on Windows XP Pro.

Normally, our Software is supposed to be installed in the directory C:\<softwarename>. This makes the support a lot more easier.
Therefore, the entry in GENERAL INFORMATION/Product Properties/INSTALLDIR is
C:\<softwarename>.

Some customers want to install the software into a different folder, e.g. D:\<softwarename>. Installing our full software this way is no problem.
But: I designed an update for the full version of the software with InstallShieldX.
The entry in GENERAL INFORMATION/Product Properties/INSTALLDIR in this project is also C:\<softwarename>. But if the customer wants now the update to be installed in D:\<softwarename> by changing the default entry in the respective dialog during installation, the updated software doesn´t work. After clicking the *.exe, Windows Installer wants to reinstall some components endlessly. Looking into the Windows EventViewer shows the event "The resource C\:<softwarename>\ doesn´t exist". Of course it doesn´t, because the installation went completely to D:\<softwarename>.

Does anyone of you have some helpful hints? Thanks a lot!

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 15:21

You can use the AppSearch feature of MSI to search for your main application EXE and then assign the directory it was found in to the INSTALLDIR property.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

ilovecolor

ilovecolor
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 18:12

Thanks for you reply smile.gif !

Can you please give me a hint how to implement that with InstallShield Express? Or do I have to write a program for that?

I think that it is rather weird that the problem i´ve described above appears. If there is a possibiltity to choose the install path, why doesn´t the installation of the update in this individual directory work?