This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple Shortcuts

3 replies to this topic

dcleous

dcleous
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 00:55

I have a problem in creating multiple conditional shotcuts for an exe.
I have to Create 3 shortcuts for the same "Exe"....one shotcut(SC1) is always created.
The other two(SC2 and SC3) depending on Conditions(Say Condition1 and Conditon2).

I have two componets in the component table just for these shortcuts(Component2 and Component3)...the problem is while setting the KeyPath...for these three components?
All the three will have a the Same file as the KeyPath..am I not breaking the rule here??

Please suggest....

Thanks,
Leo

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:31

Why do you need to create 3 shortcuts for the same exe?

I would avoid this and condition your single shortcut for your executable correctly.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:17

Two suggestions:

1. Create a CA that changes the ShortCut table while being run. Schedule the CA before InstallInitialize. Make sure that this CA changes the table in the same way during Uninstall/Repair/Reinstall, otherwise you'll probably be stuck with shortcuts after these actions.

2. Create new features and components, and new exes. These exes just run the orginal exe, passing command line parameters. If advertizing is supported on the original exe, your exe should first check whether it is advertized, if so, configure the feature as INSTALLSTATE_LOCAL.

I have experience with the first suggestion, although I needed to select another icon and description, not create new ones. I ended up creating 'dead' components (never installed) with shortcuts. All my CA did was change the Component_ field of the record in the Shortcut table.

The trick is the conditions for your shortcuts. If you're not sure that the CA will make the right decision during maintenance (or don't want to bother about it), go for the second suggestion.

Hope this helps

dcleous

dcleous
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 19:11

I've created registry components(just for shortcuts) and pointing the shorcuts asociated with these registry components to the same EXE.

It works fine so far!