This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Removing the Patch Removes whole application

3 replies to this topic

Mr.B

Mr.B
  • Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:22

Hi

I have a strange problem when using patches.

I have a small applications which is installed on my machine.
i created a small patch for that application which updates several DLL's.
after installing the patch I see that the new DLL's were replaced.

But when i am removing the Patch only (via Add\Remove Programs)
it deletes the whole application files and not only the file replaced by this patch.

Waiting for your Help ...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:48

I assume the target machine has MSI 3.1 v2 installed (if you are using MSI 3.0 or the first release of MSI 3.1 I'd suggest to update to the latest version to see if that helps).
Did you generate a log of the patch uninstall?

rumble

rumble
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:25

Hi Mr. B and Stefan Krueger,

I have the same problem as you. It's a while ago as you had the problem, maybe you could find a solution...

Here's the situation:
I've made a test installation and an uninstallable patch with Installshield 12(both basic MSI Projects) and went through a lot of problems which I could solve with the help of this forum (Thanks a lot to all of you!). But now I’m just stuck.

My patch is updating all necessary files successfully but if I'm uninstalling the patch all files will be deleted and not restored to the previous state. But after repairing with the help of the ARP all files will be there in the right version. One solution is to add a "faked" version to every file in the project but therefore I can't use dynamic file linking which I really need in a project of this size.

I couldn't find somebody with the same problem so far and just hope that somebody can help me if he knows how to solve this issue.

my msi version:
V 3.01.4000.1823

and log is so big i don't even know where to start to search...

Thanks a lot in advantage

BasilHayden

BasilHayden
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:18

I have this same problem with an MSI Script project in Installshield v12. Both entries show in the Add/Remove listing and either one removed the entire application. I have the lastest MSI and have tried this on a few machines. Is this an Installshield bug?