This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Upgrade Code

1 reply to this topic

Linda

Linda
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 18:08

Scenario:

MyProduct  version 1.0 is installed

MyProduct version 2.0 setup project is being developed

Package Code is different (new .msi)

Product Code is different (allows version 1.0 and 2.0 to be installed on the same machine)

Upgrade Code - do I change it if I want to allow both versions to coexist on the same computer?

Also, if I don't change the Upgrade Code is there a way to offer the user an option to uninstall version 1.0 or to leave it on the computer while installing version 2.0?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 23:35

The easiest way to achieve your dual install is to code the new one as a major upgrade (Keep the upgrade code the same and fill in the upgrade table).  You can then stick a condition on the RemoveExistingProducts action so that the older version os not removed.

Caveat Emptor -  Msi is not designed to work like this.  There is an assumption that only one version of a particular product installed at a time implicit in the design of msi..  Normal applications have a great deal in common and share programs, dlls and configuration data.  Unless you are extremely careful you will have many problems maintaining seperate versions on the same machine.

(Edited by Ian Blake at 10:37 pm on Feb. 27, 2002)