This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Bug in the extract at build function

2 replies to this topic

Barbara

Barbara
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 09:47

The extract at build function does the following:
When building the setup medium the function makes an register of the DLL and writes this informationinto the registry of the build machine. So far so bad. But You get really into trouble if  You build subsequent mediums with the same DLL (same name) in different versions. If the TypeLibs or ClassIDs change from version to version then all this entries are entered additional into the registry and all values are written into Your setup medium (even the wrong ones). This gives no error message at build time, but You are unable to install this medium.
This means, You cannot use this function, as InstallsShield announced it, if You have changing DLLs due to current development of the software.
I have submitted this as bug to  InstallShield but their answer was "This is by design". Great design !
So if You want to make correct builds, You have to clean the registry after every build when You need to make subsequent builds with DLLs in different versions. I use the tool EasyClean.

Barbara

Gunilla Sundelius

Gunilla Sundelius
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2001 - 15:18

I totally agree with you, Barbara!

If InstallShield could put the registry keys in the registry, they could just as easily remove them after the build is done.

Why would anyone want the garbage registry keys there after the build is done?

To avoid the problems that you described I have also been forced to use a separate, additional tool to maintain a clean building environment. I do my builds inside a virtual machine (VMWare). In this way I always get a clean machine (just replace one single file).

Gunilla

Bhanu

Bhanu
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 20:53

Are there any registry backup and restore  action scripts available?