This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing MSI 3 with InstallShield

5 replies to this topic

ConfigControl

ConfigControl
  • Full Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 20:10

Can I use this with InstallShield DevStudio version 9.0 SP1?

And If Yes, how do I get the program to use it?

Thanks,
Jim
ConfigControl

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:28

DevStudio 9 doesn't officially support MSI 3. You could try to replace the MSI 2 redist (instmsiw.exe) with the MSI 3 redist (rename it), but this could be a problem if you're installing on NT4 or Win2000 SP2 or below.
Otherwise you could create your own setup launcher to pre-install MSI 3 or upgrade to InstallShield 10.5

beerc0der

beerc0der
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:55

hi. im using admin studio 6, value pack 1 - which brings it upto installshield 10.5 compatibility. the path you mention above does not exist, i do find it in
\installshield\adminstudio\6.0\repackager\msi3.0

the release wizard enables you to include 3.0 installer in your setup.exe. i did that, and when trying to run the setup.exe on windows 2000 (sp4) it quickly said
"1155: File C:\download\instmsi30.exe not found"

c:\download is where i ran setup.exe from. its almost as if it expected it to be there already. i double checked my release settings to include windows installer 3.0, all files compressed, and extract installer engine from setup.exe. same error.

any ideas?

thanks, blink.gif

beerc0der

beerc0der
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 03:44

Solved!

I've figured this one out!! (whew!)

what you need to do if you have this problem with admin studio 6, value pack 1 (vp1) is this....

Copy the directory "MSI3.0" from:
c:\program files\InstallShield\AdminStudio6\6.0\Repackager

to....

c:\program files\InstallShield\AdminStudio6\Editor\Redist\Language Independent\i386

then rebuild your package, and it will work.

ph34r.gif

cherukus

cherukus
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 17:34

I am using Installshield 10.5 and I do see that file included in the path :
InstallShield 10.5\Redist\Language Independent\i386\msi3.0\instmsi30.exe

But how do I include it ?

Do I need to create a MergeModule project, by adding this file to the project and include the MSM file created ???

Thanks !!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 17:44

No, the msi3 runtime is installed by the setup.exe launcher. You should be able to select MSI 3 in the release wizard.