This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Recommendation/Suggestion for multiple install of

3 replies to this topic

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 14:46

Hi,

I need to install msi package multiple times on same machine but in different
folders (INSTALLDIR) . Number of times i need to install is dynamic and will change
during run time.

What is the best way to do above.

I am thinking of dynamically generating PRODUCT CODE and passing following parameters to
msi for each install:

PRODUCT CODE
PRODUCT NAME
INSTALLDIR

Please suggest if you came across this situation.

Best Regards,
Deepak

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 20:14

Did you look at the documentation topic "Installing Multiple Instances with Instance Transforms"?

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 20:29

Thanks Stefan. You are always very helpful.

I did look at ""Installing Multiple Instances with Instance Transforms" document.

As per my understanding, this is good if you know how many transforms you need. Suppose if need 10 transforms, i can configure main package to create 10 transform as mentioned in the document during the build time.

Is there a way to create number of transforms dynamically? Actually i am trying to write an installer to update websites on IIS Server.

Some customer may have 10 websites hosted on IIS and some may have 30 in different folders. I need to create transforms depending upon number of websites/folders. I dont care even if it shows 30 or 40 or... entries in the control panel Add/Remove programe.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 21:23

I don't think there is. You would have to pre-determine the maximum number.

Changing the ProductCode and PackageCode might be an option. Not sure into which problems you might run.

Maybe MSI isn't the best technology for a task like this.