This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VISTA Support within Installshield

2 replies to this topic

Christoph

Christoph
  • Full Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:43

Hello chaps

We are currently using Installshield 11 Premier and would like to make our Installers Windows Vista compatible.

We are aware that Installshield 12 is Vista compatible and to upgrade to this is quite expensive. We are also aware that InstallShield 2008 is around the corner, so it may be better to upgrade to Installshield 2008 rather than pay for two upgrades e.g. Installshield 12 and Installshield 2008.

Any idea when Installshield 2008 is released and can we still use Installshield 11 to support Vista installations?

I think these questions are better poised here, rather than get sales jargon from an Installshield supplier.

Regards

mpento

mpento
  • Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 16:09

I agree.

I have a similar situation with my current contract in which we have 11.5 Premier, in trying to figure out what we need for Vista, we have started to look at InstallShield 2008.

Some of the issues we have seen so far, which are mostly due to trying to figure out which overpriced product we will buy, Premeir or Pro:

1. Confusing information about localization.
Apparently, this is only supported in the Premier product, although, I can swear in recent older versions that multilingual support existed in professional as well.

(Also, my company wants to save money by purchasing Premier for builds and Pro for development. This is probably not going to work, but, it's always fun to try I guess.)

2. Stand-alone build availability "appears" to have changed in that it seems to only be available for the Premier edition. Although, there is language in the EULA that says SAB is still available for those who own previous version of IS (10, 11.0, 11.5, 12, etc)

I have been tasked to call Macrovision on #1, I will post whatever I find here.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael J. Pento

Independent InstallShield Contractor
mjpento@NO_SPAM.comcast.net

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 20:09

Being a InstallShield reseller I guess I fall in the "Installshield supplier" category, but I'll still try to answer the questions, without too much "sales jargon".

Basic MSI setups created in older versions of InstallShield should work on Vista, but can't take advantage of some of the new Vista features. You may be able to add some of this functionality manually, e.g. add a MsiRMilesInUse dialog, make sure all your EXEs, DLLs etc. are digitally signed (including the icon resource EXEs for your shortcuts), post-process your msi file to change the elevation setting in the summary information dialog if necessary (not needed if your setup requires admin rights), create your own, manifested setup.exe bootstrapper if necessary, etc. Many things are possible, and maybe you don't need to support all Vista features (especially if you don't plan to get Vista logo certified) but it may be tedious.

Premier can create multi-language setups. Professional (the domestic/English edition of Pro) supports only 1 language. You can select this once, when you install Pro. So it is possible to select, say, French. Then *all* your setups will be in French. It's a bit different in localized editions of Pro (German, Japanese), as they are actually bi-lingual: they support English plus one selectable language. German users would typically select German and English, so their setup runs in German for German users and English for their international customers.

For new InstallShield users, stand-alone build licenses are only available in the Premier edition. This changed in version 12. They used to be in the Pro edition, too. Therefore if you have a Pro edition that includes SAB licenses and is eligible for an upgrade to IS 2008 Pro, you still can the SAB tool versin 2008. So they are not taking SAB away from existing Pro customers.