This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Basic MSM questions

3 replies to this topic

shafeeque

shafeeque
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 08:31

I am distributing my application as MM to third parties.

Due to following bug in MM I need to distribute a new MM.

The Bug installing a lower version on a higher version.

A custom action based on a file say x.exe will not be launched. Since the file is not installed while trying to install the lower version over a higher version.

To fix this i palned the following resoultion method.

Add a new component in the MM which will install a new file xnew.exe.
(Things makes complex when old x.exe get installed and start running, I can handle this conflicts ... no probelm).

My doubts are follows.

Can I remove/rename/ the old component which installs the x.exe form MM ?.
Can modify the existing component which installs the x.exe to install xnew.exe ?.

As long as I undersoot WI, Changing anything in the MM should not affect the base installers which uses the MM as features.

All your help will be greatly appreciated...

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 07:07

If you really want to install the lower version file on top of the higher one, you should be able to *fake* the file version in the installer table.

shafeeque

shafeeque
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:39

how to fake the file version available in the file table

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 23:37

All you have to do is change the file version of the file you want in the file table.
Msi will always use the file version provided in the file table for that file and not the actual windows version of the file.

The windows version is used when msi queires the file on the local system.