This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

downgrading installer

5 replies to this topic

mohansundar123#

mohansundar123#
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 13:59

Hi ,
I have developed a Basic MSI project using install shield 2009.
I have to enable downgrade option for this installer.So if i create an installer of higher version of current installer with additional features and if i try to downgrade to current version it should be made possible.

pls help me.

thanks in advanc,
Mohan sundar

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 18:01

If your update is a patch (.msp) you can make it unintsllable. This would revert the system to the previous version.

Otherwise you may be able to do this as a Major Upgrade, i.e. change the ProductCode and add a Major Upgrade entry. You also need to remove the Prevent Downgrade custom action that newer InstallShield versions add by default (you must richt click > display all custom actions, because this custom action is hidden by default). n addition you may need to change the UpgradeCode (and ajust your Major Upgrade entry accordingly).

mohansundar123#

mohansundar123#
  • Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:50

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2009-12-03 18:01)
If your update is a patch (.msp) you can make it unintsllable. This would revert the system to the previous version.

Otherwise you may be able to do this as a Major Upgrade, i.e. change the ProductCode and add a Major Upgrade entry. You also need to remove the Prevent Downgrade custom action that newer InstallShield versions add by default (you must richt click > display all custom actions, because this custom action is hidden by default). n addition you may need to change the UpgradeCode (and ajust your Major Upgrade entry accordingly).

Thanks for quick reply sir.
I ll check the same and let u know if any issues biggrin.gif

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 00:46

I hate to revive an old thread but I am in need of the same advice and can't find it anywhere. 

I have a small installer that will need to support upgrades and downgrades.  I have tried changing the Upgrade Items to accomplish this but I haven't had any luck.

What I've done so far:

Removed the built in ISPreventDowngrade item.

Added a new major upgrade item with the settings:

- Products sharing my Upgrade Code

- Any earlier version

The results are, Upgrades are fine.  Downgrades do not generate any error but the new version is not removed and there are 2 entries in ARP.

Is there a particular setting that I am missing?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 13:46

Well "any earlier version" means that it will replace existing version with lower version number (here "earlier" means "lower version"). Please select "within specific range", enter the first version you ever released (1.0 oder maybe even 0.1) in the left (minimum) field and leave the right (maximum) field blank. In additin, check the "inclusive" box.

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 23:37

Thanks Stephan.  That worked.  Much appreciated.