This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Unistall start install if user has no admin right

3 replies to this topic

wenju_wang

wenju_wang
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 22:53

First I logged in as a user with admin right and installed my software, the installer created a uninstall shortcut whose target pionts to the following location.

C:\WINNT\System32\RunDll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\engine\6\INTEL3~1\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{EED795C0-5E5F-4D80-ACAE-0DF59AD57A0D}\Setup.exe" -l0x9 Uninstall

then I logged off and logged in as another user without admin right, clicking the uninstall menu entry started the install process. why???

The uninstall menu works fine for the users with admin rights.

Edited by wenju_wang, 09 June 2003 - 22:54.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 00:41

Because just like installing requires administrator privilges, so does uninstalling.
user posted image

konrad

konrad
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 09:08

I have seen the same problem with some of my installations so this looks like a bug.
I am using 6.30 German.

The strange thing is that the uninstall without admin rights will start on Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000 but not on Windows XP.

My workaround was to check the Admin rights on the machine in the code before the uninstallation (which I start in the OnMaintUIBefore event). Without admin rights I will present a message box and abort.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 12 June 2003 - 16:15

No, it's not a bug. Just like creating certain registry entries & copying to certain location requires Administrator privileges, so does removing these items. Not to mention that the InstallShield Engine itself requires Admin. rights to install itself, and if necessary, remove itself.

Also, Windows XP has tightened security, so that could account for the previously mentioned behavior difference.

Finally, I would definitely agree that your uninstall should therefore check for Administrator privileges just like your install should.

Edited by TacoBell00, 12 June 2003 - 16:16.

user posted image