This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error 1310 during MoveFile

1 reply to this topic

danl65

danl65
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 16:51

I am trying to solve a unique problem that seems to only plague Windows Server 2008 R2 systems.

Basically in an upgrade scenario we want to preserve the user's database file (obviously), and as a preventative measure we add the file to the move file table and it is copied to a different directory.

The .ldf file gets copied to this directory without problems.
The default .mdf file will get copied to this directory without problems.

However, if I import a fake large database that has pseudo real data in it, the copy fails during the install with an error 1310.

Error 1310. Error writing to file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\wiseBUAmazingCharts.mdf Verify that you have access to that directory.

Is there a size limit that I am unaware of? I have tinkered with the VM memory size (6GB of memory), there is plenty of hard disk space, etc.

I know that we are not dealing with permissions issues here because if I just leave the default database in place the process works correctly and the files copy correctly.

I have consulted MSDN and they do not indicate anything on the move file action or the move file table page regarding file sizes. The database in question is nearing 3GB in size. The default size is only about 10MB.

So far I have not seen any problems on Windows 7, Vista, XP.

EDIT:
I just noticed that the file size is listed as -1140523008, that is probably the reason it is not writing to the drive, due to an invalid file size. The file size is 2.93GB, I bet the Move File table tries to list the file in bytes.

Edited by danl65, 10 October 2012 - 18:49.

danl65

danl65
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 22:20

For now I am removing the MoveFile table actions and have created a Custom Action using VB Script to simply CopyFile from INSTALLDIR to CommonFiles Folder.

Another test with a file less than 2GB works - as long as the file size is less than our byte size limit without rolling over into the negative digits we are fine. Once we hit the MAXSIZE for byte we are dead in the water. So since our customer's databases can be large and the company wants the added level of 'security' of copying the database to another directory before copying files to the Install Directory a custom action that avoids the byte size limits seems in order. biggrin.gif

Dan Lee
Amazing Charts
Release Engineer