This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Quick Patch DLL version Problem Eror 6493

3 replies to this topic

sanjoygr

sanjoygr
  • Full Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 14:21

Basic MSI for Web Application
InstallShield 11.0
[Setup data is Compressed]

I want to make a quick patch project for updating a dll and a few ASPX files.

The DLL is in BIN folder which also having other DLLs.

While making the orginal setup.msi I have copied the full folder in one shot to the files and folder of the setup creation.
Now I find while creating a Quick patch if I select any particular file from the bin folder I find its version is 5.1.0
However If I go to the setup creation folder and see the file it is having different version for different file.
I see that the version that it is showing is the highest version of a file calle myeditor.dll for al other dlls also.
This is creating probloem in creation of quick patch for another dll whose current version is less. Error:6493
Please adive me how to solve the proble.
Should I create separate comonent for all DLLs in the Bin folder?

Thanks
Sanjoy

sebica79

sebica79
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 18:54

You can create also a separate component for the given dll file, but you can set to be overwrite, no matter the file version.

sanjoygr

sanjoygr
  • Full Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:59

It is a fault of Installshield. As we have to make it overwrite forcefully.
In a component which maps to particular bin directory there can be more than 1 dll. It is not fare to make the default version for all items in that component under the directory version equal to the highest version of all the dlls available.

However I have solved my problem inspite of build time warning by making it registered must.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:56

QUOTE (sanjoygr @ 2006-06-21 06:59)
In a component which maps to particular bin directory there can be more than 1 dll.

This is a violation of the component rules. In Windows Installer you should only have one DLL per component.