This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI Starts uninstallation automatically

3 replies to this topic

mghaznavi

mghaznavi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:30

Hello all,

I am facing very interesting and annoying problem. I have a setup built using Basic MSI project (DevStudio 9). It has many features mostly including .NET binaries and text configuration files. Some features are also based on SQL Server data files and script, crystal reports (.rpt), and COM Active X controls.
The setup only supports the installation and uninstallation. I have disabled the repair and modify options. This setup works fine if i install it on a machine and use the application. But when i modify some of the installed files, and then run my application again, the MSI service suddenly takes the control and trigger the uninstallation of the application without saying a word. This is of course not acceptable. This problem arrises on some machines (not everywhere). I am unable to get the clue about what is wrong with the MSI service or my installer setup.
I would appreciate if anyone could help me in this regard. I have searched on the web and in the help of installshield and it seems that no one else has even seen this kind of problem.
You quick help would be highly appreciated as this is very urgent.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
M Ghaznavi

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:32

Windows Installer has auto-repair built in and you can't really disable this. So it looks like Windows Installer tries to repair the broken install, and if your only maintenance method is uninstall, then this will happen.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:36

This article might also help:

Windows Installer launches unexpectedly, for no obvious reason

mghaznavi

mghaznavi
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:04

Thanks Stefan,
I am just looking at the link and let you know if it works or not.

Thanks a lot again.

M Ghaznavi