This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstalling previous version before installation

4 replies to this topic

varunAdb

varunAdb
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:21

Hi All,

I was just trying to incorporate uninstallation functionality before installation of new build. Also, I have disabled minor/small upgrades as our installer to too small so simple uninstallation and installation will do.
I suppose we cannot put any CA before ISSetupFilesExtract. Hence, even before my CA is called to uninstall previous version, a prompt comes that previous version is installed and needs to uninstalled from ARP. Is this incorporated in setup.exe generated by installshield and is there any way of bypassing it?

Regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 17:54

You should add a Major Upgrade entry under Upgrades. This will automatically uninstall the previous version. (Your new version must have a different ProductCode GUID and a higher ProductVersion number)

varunAdb

varunAdb
  • Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:33

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of Major Upgrade but we don't want to change the ProductCode. In fact, our installer is so small that complete installation and uninstallation will suffice for minor upgrades as well. isn't this a good practise to completely uninstall before installation?

Regards

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:09

I'm not sure I understand what you want. Uninstalling the old version before installing the new version is okay. Automatically doing this is exactly what a Major Upgrade does. So you want the same functionality but don't want to use Windows Installer's built in capability to do it??? Then you should create a exe that will uninstall the old version and then install the new version. But that doesn't really make sense to me.

MSIYER

MSIYER
  • Full Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 13:38

Whatever Stefan recommended is the Best Practise.
Then you should create a exe that will uninstall the old version and then install the new version. But that doesn't really make sense to me.

Just to add to his statement:
Using MsiConfigureProduct Function in a custom exe to first uninstall your old product and then to install your new product would do the trick.

But then why do you need an installer after all?