This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Version Update

6 replies to this topic

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:55

Hi All i have problem with version please give some good suggestions,
problem:From Which reg entry installshield will find the version of installed product?(For product updates),i am useing the Basic msi project.

--kirankumar

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:16

To be strictly correct, it's not InstallShield per se which interrogates the registry, it's the Windows Installer engine. Also, WI has no concept of an application's version: all it's concerned with is that application's Product Code and it is this which it reads from HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:15

Hi Scab Thanks for ur Quick reply,Depends upon your reply i checked in my application i got one more doubt regarding this,

I created one patch only for version 2.2.5.0(for example),

In client m/c through Auto update(programatically, not through install shield auto update) i was updated the application, it was updated all the files to 2.2.5.0 from 2.2.4.0, but it was not updated in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry entry,

i applied the patch it was gave one message that i attached as a image please go through this,

After that i changed the version to 2.2.5.0 in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry key manually, then i applied the patch still it is giving same problem

means it is taking the version information some where else not in uninstall isn't it?

Edited by kirankumar, 11 April 2008 - 10:20.

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:17

Hi Scab Thanks for ur Quick reply,Depends upon your reply i checked in my application i got one more doubt regarding this,

I created one patch only for version 2.2.5.0(for example),

In client m/c through Auto update(programatically, not through install shield auto update) i was updated the application, it was updated all the files to 2.2.5.0 from 2.2.4.0, but it was not updated in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry entry,

i applied the patch it was gave one message that i attached as a image please go through this,

After that i changed the version to 2.2.5.0 in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry key, then i applied the patch still it is giving same problem

means it is taking the version information some where else not in uninstall isn't it?

Attached Images

• upgrade.JPG

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:44

QUOTE (kirankumar @ 2008-04-11 09:15)
In client m/c through Auto update(programatically, not through install shield auto update) i was updated the application, it was updated all the files to 2.2.5.0 from 2.2.4.0,  but it was not updated in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry entry,

After that i changed the version to 2.2.5.0 in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry key manually, then i applied the patch still it is giving same problem

If I read your post correctly, you applied the patch which updated the files correctly
but didn't update the registry entry. Which entry was that, 'DisplayVersion' or 'Version'?

You then applied the patch again. Since it had already been applied, you got the message you attached. That is expected behaviour and also means that Windows Installer "knows" that the patch was successfully applied.

I don't know for sure whether patching updates the 'DisplayVersion' entry. If it doesn't, I doubt that there would be any harm in doing that in your patch file.

Edited by VBScab, 11 April 2008 - 11:44.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

kirankumar

kirankumar
  • Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:41

Thanks Scab, I think u understanded differently, first i applied the auto update(programatically) for 2.2.4.0 to 2.2.5.0(here both display version and version in uninstall registry key r not updated) ,due to some fixes we released the patch,that patch is for only 2.2.5.0 then we applied the patch at that time it is giving the problem as i mentioned in previous reply,

Then i was changed the display version and version in uninstall registry key manually to 2.2.5.0 then i was applied the patch, same problem exist,

here one more observation, if i update the application from 2.2.4.0 to 2.2.5.0 through the installer instead of Auto update(programatically) and after if i apply the patch it is not giving the problem what i mentioned before,

From this i got information as if i do update through auto update(programatically) it is not changing the registry entry, just it is replacing the old files with new files,

why i choosed this auto update(programatically) is size constrained, if i use programatic auto update it is taking 5MB,

if i choose installer update it is taking 12MB

for down loading the application programatic auto update is good compare to installer update,

and i want to use programatic auto update so i need to rectify this issue(what i mention before)

and one more suggesition needed, how to decrease the setup size(i am using the Basic msi project in install shield 11 professional )

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 14:03

QUOTE (kirankumar @ 2008-04-11 11:41)
Thanks Scab, I think u understanded differently, first i applied the auto update(programatically) for 2.2.4.0 to 2.2.5.0(here both display version and version in uninstall registry key r not updated) ,due to some fixes we released the patch,that patch is for only 2.2.5.0 then we applied the patch at that time it is giving the problem as i mentioned in previous reply,

Then i was changed the display version and version in uninstall registry key manually to 2.2.5.0 then i was applied the patch, same problem exist,

here one more observation, if i update the application from 2.2.4.0 to 2.2.5.0 through the installer instead of Auto update(programatically) and after if i apply the patch it is not giving the problem what i mentioned before,

From this i got information as if i do update through auto update(programatically) it is not changing the registry entry, just it is replacing the old files with new files,

why i choosed this auto update(programatically) is size constrained, if i use programatic auto update it is taking 5MB,

if i choose installer update it is taking 12MB

for down loading the application programatic auto update is good compare to installer update,

and i want to use programatic auto update so i need to rectify this issue(what i mention before)

and one more suggesition needed, how to decrease the setup size(i am using the Basic msi project in install shield 11 professional )

So...is the latest patch versioned differently? Say, 2.2.6.0?

Iif it were me, I'd run both installs with verbose logging and comparing the resultant logs.