This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Why is reboot needed after major upgrade?

3 replies to this topic

catrill

catrill
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 13:12

I have a new product that I want to install on top of an old product with a different product code. All the installation of each product uses the basic user interface.

I have tried sequencing RemoveExistingProducts in two places:

1. Before InstallInitialize
2. Immediately after InstallInitialize

In both cases, at the end of the installation, MSI tells the user a reboot is needed. Here is the message at the end of the log:

Property©: UILevel = 3
Property©: ACTION = INSTALL
=== Logging stopped: 06/08/2004 16:52:16 ===
MSI © (88:C0): Note: 1: 1707
MSI © (88:C0): Product: Sophos AutoUpdate -- Installation operation completed successfully.

MSI © (88:C0): Failed to grab execution mutex. System error 258.
MSI © (88:C0): Install in progress and no UI to display Retry/Cancel. Returning ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING.
MSI © (88:C0): Server locked. Will skip uninstalled package cleanup, and allow locking install to perform cleanup
MSI © (88:C0): MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 06/08/2004 16:52:19 ===

It seems that MSI wants to do some cleanup of the product that I removed, but was unable to do so.

Neither of the two products require a reboot when installing or uninstalling.

Can you help?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:57

You could look at the PendingFileRenameOperations registry value to see which files are scheduled for replacement during the reboot.

Error 258 means time out. Maybe the automatic uninstall of the old version hangs?

Uttam Mathur

Uttam Mathur
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 21:13

Stefen,

What does the following line in log implies:

MSI © (88:C0): Server locked. Will skip uninstalled package cleanup, and allow locking install to perform cleanup

Why it locked the server where actually the setup is running? I have seen this in many installation but could not understand.

Regards

catrill

catrill
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 17:46

My upgrading problems are now fixed

I had the following at InstallValidate stage:
Disallowing installation of component:..................... since the same component with higher versioned keyfile exists

Even though the two key files actually had the same version. See also http://forum.install...?showtopic=9926

I increased the version of this particular file (other files which have the same version in both products are behaving ok) and all is now fine.

So what was causing the reboot was that I was launching a program at the end of installation. Because the aformentioned component was not installed, and this program required it, repair was immediately launched. My original installation could not complete as another installation was in progress.