This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Read files in CAB file at runtime

1 reply to this topic

DSC

DSC
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 20:39

Hi All,
During Repair, i want to look at the target folder and move all files that belong to the installation to a Backup folder.
This is because my users may have modified some installed files, and i dont want repair to overwrite them. I don't simply want Repair to skip repairing newer files.
After Repair I want to installation to be like new, and all user modified files backed up.
Ideally, I would like to look at a file in the target, check if is is an installed file, check is date too if possible, then move it to the Backup folder before Repair happens.

Is there a way to read the installed files in the CAB files?

Thanks,
Dave

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 03:22

I have a few ideas.

The first idea is to modify your media to drop the CAB file compression all together. That way you can you can look at and access the data files directly without any extra steps, but that's probably not a desired solution.

Another thing would be to include your own raw text file in your setup (e.g. the SUPPORTDIR) with this information (e.g. filenames, dates, etc.).

Finally, you could include InstallShield's CAB File Viewer Utility (ISCab.exe) in your setup and use InstallScript to execute it on-the-fly with the appropriate command-line arguments (i.e. /lx switch to list all of the files, /x switch to extract the files, etc.). See the ISCab.exe help topic for more information.

Edited by Taco Bell, 27 February 2004 - 03:24.

user posted image