This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Components Order

4 replies to this topic

Majd

Majd
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2001 - 18:55

Hi,

I am probably not using InstallShield right. I am trying to make a setup program that would register about 20 DLL's. These DLL's have to be in a specific order due to some dependencies between them.  I have tried for so long with installShield but I could not put them in the right order.  I would thank everyone for help..

Irina

Irina
  • Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 21 August 2001 - 22:19

Hi,
I am not sure that it is a best way, but you can create a custom action for each yours Dll from the Custom Action Wizard:
Type: launch an executable
Source  [DllName]
Target  /REGSERVER
Set the type of custom actions as Deferred.
Insert these custom action on the right order in the execute sequence.

Majd

Majd
  • Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2001 - 22:29

Quote: from Irina on 10:19 pm on Aug. 21, 2001
Hi,
I am not sure that it is a best way, but you can create a custom action for each yours Dll from the Custom Action Wizard:
Type: launch an executable
Source  [DllName]
Target  /REGSERVER
Set the type of custom actions as Deferred.
Insert these custom action on the right order in the execute sequence.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 09:10

Msi gives you a great deal of control over component registration.  You should be able to author the Class, AppID, and Registry tables to take full account of all interdependancies between objects.  This may be a lot of work.  The tools within ISWI will help you author these tables.  You may need to do fine tuning yourself.

If you follow Irina's idea remember to write actions to handle rollback,. uninstall and upgrades etc. in a correct manner.  When you have thought through these you will understand why self registration is not always a good idea.