This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Prevent 2nd instance of install from running?

2 replies to this topic

discomonger

discomonger
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2002 - 19:38

Howdy,

Is there some way to get IS to detect that an install is already running and not have anything happen if the user double-clicks on Setup.exe again?  There is a big problem (which I have reported as a bug to IS) with the second install erroring out and then removing all the files not in use from the SUPPORTDIR location.  So if you continue on with the first install that was launched the license screen has no license because the license.txt file was removed from the SUPPORTDIR location...  And no error is displayed or anything.

Thanks for any suggestions.
--disco

discomonger

discomonger
  • Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 00:45

So after thinking about this some more I think this isn't a behavior InstallShield used to have.  Didn't it used to just let you launch two instances at the same time?  Or warn you that you already have a setup running?  Is this a new bug in IS 6.31?  Looks like I'm going to have to sign up for some support....

SilentCry

SilentCry
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 14:59

As far as I know, and from what I've seen, if you try launching simultaneous installs, you get an error message from the second installshield.  My users have encountered this often enough that I've written it into the installation guide.

SC