This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent install with child install.

3 replies to this topic

tiredjim

tiredjim
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 13:26

Hello All,

I am having a few problems with getting a silent install to work.

I am using IS 5.53 on win2k.

I have created a silent install with the -r and then the -s switch, which works perfectly, the problem is the install calls another a child installer which isn't silent.

So I would like to try and get both the parent and child installers to be silent.

Now the child process 'jinitiator' has a silent install option, which is

" jinit.exe -s -a -s -f1C:\setup.iss "

I am trying to use LaunchAppAndWait as shown below

ReturnCode=LaunchAppAndWait ( jpath^"jinit.exe" , " -s -a -s -f1C:\setup.iss" , WAIT );

But when I add the command line parameters -s -a -s -f1C:\setup.iss the child installer does not run at all. I have had a look in the setup.log and I am getting a -5, file does not exists? Which file?

Just for your info., when I use the code below the 'jinitiator' (child install) installs fine but it is not silent.

ReturnCode=LaunchAppAndWait ( jpath^"jinit.exe" , " " , WAIT );

So is this the right way to do it? Is there a better way to do it?

One thing I have tried to do is run the above command in a bat file but that didn't work either, i.e. instead of calling the jinit.exe run a jinit.bat.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated

Cheers

tiredjim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 13:36

Can you try this test:
Insert a MessageBox in place of that LaunchApp call. Make it display the value of jpath.
While that message box is on the screen, open Start > Run and enter the path, followed by jinit.exe -s -a -s -f1C:\setup.iss
Does that work?

I suspect maybe it doesn't find setup.iss, or there is a conflict between the two .iss files involved.

tiredjim

tiredjim
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 14:03

Stefan,

I have tried that and it comes back with the message that the above filename is invalid. But when I do navigate to the directory shown in the message box I can see the jinit.exe, could it be getting confused with all the switches. I only say beause when navigating to that directory and typing in the full command (jinit.exe -s -a -s -f1C:\setup.iss) via ms-dos it works ok.

Cheers

tiredjim.

PS. I have had some sort of success. I have put the command into a bat file, called that and it worked fine. BUT and it's a big but when I then do a full build and try the installer out on another machine the jinit.exe does not run?

tiredjim

tiredjim
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 16:38

Got it figured in the end, the problem was in my bat file rather than IS itself, but thanks v. much for your time.

Cheers

tiredjim

Edited by tiredjim, 20 September 2005 - 16:39.