This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Setups that Expire After a Certain Number of days

3 replies to this topic

phoenix

phoenix
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:43

I have to deploy time limited demo version of my setup. The application should stop working after the pre-decided date. Can I implement it using InstallShield X.
My project type is InstallScript MSI.

I have tried to get help about this topic while working With devStudio 9.0, but the KB article states that InstallShield does not currently provide this functionality in their products.

KB Article Details:
INFO: Creating Setups that Expire After a Certain Number of Days
Document ID: Q105125

Now I have got the InstallShield X version. Is this functionality supported in InstallShield X?
If not can you please inform me about any other way of implementing it?
Any documents or links would surely help.

Thanking you in much anticipation.
phoenix

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:44

I wouldn't implement this feature in the setup, the application EXE should check this. You can however have the setup write an "encrypted" date value to the registry and have your application check this date when starting up. After a certain number of days the EXE will refuse to launch unless a serial key is provided.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 09:08

Such functionality is currently not included in InstallShield X. If you have a few weeks until you need to finish your setup, there may be an interesting solution. Please contact my by e-mail skrueger@installsite.org

phoenix

phoenix
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 11:48

Thanks for your reply.

Currently I have implemented this requirement exactly as "Glytzhkof" has mentioned.

I may have a couple of weeks before I finish the setup, so I will send a mail to Stefan.

Regards,
phoenix