This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Install

3 replies to this topic

Priscilla_BR

Priscilla_BR
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 18:14

Sorry for the language. I'm brazilian and don't speak so much English. I hope you understand me...

Well, I'm using "Wise Installation Studio 7.0 SP1" and have a doubt: Is possible to install a prerequisite (an .exe file) silently?
I'm creating a installation where i have an EXE that launches external MSI. In this sittuation, I've included an external msi installation using the MSI Script. I've tried to install the above quoted .EXE file within MSI scipt, but with no success... I think that's no possible because the .EXE must be installed BEFORE the msi of my software. Using the script I think (and don't know if I'm correct) that it's only possible to install the .exe in the same time or after the installation...

Someone can help me?
Thanks...

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 13:10

If the EXE extracts and executes an MSI, it would be best to use the WPS action 'Install MSI from...' You can see the three relevant Actions if you select the 'MSI Script' view.

It is worth noting, however, that so-called "nested" MSIs are not recommended. The *best* option is to use your deployment mechanism (if you use one) to deploy the pre-requisite MSI first, followed by the main MSI, or build a new EXE (a so-called "wrapper" EXE) which will contain both of the MSIs.

Please forgive my faulty Spanish:
Por favor, disculpe mi espanol defectuoso:

Si el EXE extrae y ejecuta un MSI, sería mejor usar el WPS accion 'Install MSI from ...' Usted puede ver las tres acciones pertinentes si selecciona la "MSI Script '.

Cabe senalar, sin embargo, que los que se llamada "anidadas" MSI no se recomiendan. La *mejor* opción es a utilizar su mecanismo de despliegue (si usa uno) para desplegar el requisito previo de MSI en primer lugar, seguidos por los principales MSI, o construir un nuevo EXE (los que se llamado "envoltorio" EXE) que contendra tanto de los MSI.

- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Priscilla_BR

Priscilla_BR
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 13:54

Firstly, thanks for the answer.

Well, I've already been using the custom action "Install MSI from...". I will explain my sittuation more clearly:
I have two files that must be installed before the major installation: a MSI file and an EXE file.
The MSI I can install in the same time of, or after installation, because it's only necessary for the function of the software that I was trying to install...
The EXE file (which is giving me some problems) couldn't be installed using the action above reffered (because it's an EXE, not MSI). Beyond that, this EXE must be installed before the INSTALLATION of my software (in other words, like a prerequisite).
I have tried to install that using MSI script custom action "Execute program from...", but with no success. I think that I was creating wrong command lines... Beyond that, I think is not possible to execute an action (included inside MSI Script) before the major installation. Because of that I was trying to install my EXE using the Prerequisites page, what gave me one more problem: The GUI!
The customer don't need to see the prerequisite installation. But I don't know how to do the prerequisite installs silently. I have tried to do that using the command line, but I don't know exactly which parameter i have to use (like /S or /qn for silent installations).

Now, I have found one more possibility: Using the custom action: "Run WiseScript from...". I'm still haven't got it, but I'm searching for the best (and correct) way.
I found that possibility in this link: My Webpage

Thank you again, and sorry for the faulty English...
Muchas Gracias!

Edited by Priscilla_BR, 08 July 2008 - 14:53.

Priscilla_BR

Priscilla_BR
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 14:50

Hey, I got it!
Using the prerequisites page, I got to install the EXE file silently, using a specific command for the exe installer: /q:a /c:"install /l /q"
Now, I just have to include some dialogs with progress bar to advertise the customer to wait for the installation...

Thanks a lot for your time!!!
Kisses