This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

convert .exe installer to .msi

2 replies to this topic

dkeller216

dkeller216
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:35

I have a self-extractor installation file that I want to push out to my domain users using a group policy which requires that the installer is a MSI file. How can I convert a EXE installer to a MSI installer?

I've tried to create a setup project in MS Visual Studio that contains the EXE file and executes it after installing it on the users system, but I get an error that another setup is running so the setup aborts.

Installers are kind of new to me so any advice or direction someone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:15

I suspect that the self extractor actually includes a MSI setup. So try to extract the contents of the self extracting exe and you may find what yu need.
To extract: some packages have a command line parameter for this, some can be extracted using WinZIP. If nothing else helps, start the setup, and while the Welcome dialog is on the screen, find the extracted files in the temp folder.

dkeller216

dkeller216
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 18:34

Thank you for the quick reply. That worked for me.