This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Promt before remove shared DLL

1 reply to this topic

marvelfj

marvelfj
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:02

Hi Stefan.. when we installing the dll or ocx file with "always increment shared .DLL count" it will increase the value into registri "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs". and when uninstalling it will decrease or remove the dll if the value is 1 (means there is no more application using this dll). do you know how to promt the user if we want to remove the dll like "this shared dll is no longer been used by any application. do you want to remove ?" with option "yes, yes to all, no , no to all" because i am affraid after i remove the dll but there is an application which not register into SharedDLLs still using that dll, then that application will affected. so i want to promt user before removing the dll. or any body got idea to do this ?? Thanks before

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:24

In ancient times such propmpts were common. However they are confusing at least to the user. Also, how should the end user know whether the file is still needed? So it's quite likely that they don't answer it correctly. Therefore this sort of prompt has long disappeared from the setup world.
In other words: don't worry. If some other application doesn't follow installation practices that have been in place for 10 years or so, it's their problem, not yours.
Also this would only be a problem if the other setup was installed after your application.