This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing DLLs

3 replies to this topic

andyguest13

andyguest13
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:00

Hi,

I have a requirement to install the Java Runtime environment with my product. There are approx. 17 DLLs and an EXE in there which IS attempts to extract the COM information for (and fails, in most cases). So, i tried setting the component's extract-at-build flag to No, which stops the errors at least. But, the Help states that in doing this, i should set the file's property to Self-Register.

What i actually want is just a plain simple copy of the DLL to the users machine - i don't want any installation or changes made to the Registry at all. How best to accomplish that ?

thanks
andy

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 22:48

Most Java applications don't use COM, or at least use it as little as possible. For the vast majority of Java dll's there is no reason to register it for COM (and indeed usually not possible to do so). If there is an error trying to extract COM information from a dll, it is generally NOT a COM file, or there are missing dependencies when trying to load the COM dll. The latter can normally be fixed by putting the dependent dll's in the same folder as the COM file (unless it is a .NET dll, in which case more effort may be needed).

The Java Runtime environment is generally best installed by Sun's wrapper setup. I believe Installshield offers you a way to bundle this with your installation via a custom setup.exe bootstrapper launcher that will first install the runtime and then your application.

You can also install a local copy of the Java runtime files (at least many applications do - legality must be checked from Sun), but then you must not mess with the system path. Rather you set yourself a custom classpath when launching the application.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

andyguest13

andyguest13
  • Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 15:33

thanks for the answer. I am indeed installing a local copy of the JRE and i have a Windows executable launcher which sets all the runtime parameters such as classpath and then spawns a JVM process.

But to get back to my original question, how best to make InstallShield treat the DLLs and EXEs in the JRE as plain old files i wonder?

thanks
andy

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:08

Check if the "COM Extract at build" component option is set to Yes. If so, change it to No. This is a per-component setting, so you need to repeat for all components.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul