This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Incorrect Checksum ?!?

3 replies to this topic

vengeanz

vengeanz
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 23:38

Hi Guys,

This one has me stumped.

I've created an MSI with a single feature. As part of this feature I have a CurrentUser component which I want to autoheal HKCU registry key settings.

Now the tricky thing is the user may not have access to the source files, but I thought this would be ok as the theoretically the cached MSI should contain the required registry information.

But when a new user logs in and runs the app it requests the source. Okay... ?

I found in the MSI log that apparently one of the files it checked has an incorrect checksum and so is trying to repair it. That would make sense except the file it is trying to repair was already installed before the MSI was installed and is same version and language as the one in the package so it wouldn't have installed it in the first place.

I checked the files and they were different sizes so that's probably the reason the checksum is "incorrect".

I'm just not sure what I should do at this stage sad.gif does anyone have any recommendations for stopping it checking for the source.

Cheers
Steve

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 00:29

Repairs are done at feature level. If a broken key path is discovered in one feature that feature is repaired along with all its parent features (but not its siblings). By making a HKCU only feature you should be able to repair without the source files. However, you need an advertised entry point in the HKCU feature (such as a shortcut) to trigger the repair. Alternatively you can use Microsoft Active Setup to run repair once per user.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

vengeanz

vengeanz
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:45

Cheers Glytzhkof,

I placed the CurrentUser component along with the advertised Shortcuts and their executables into a new hidden feature along side (sibling to) my single feature.

That seemed to work but I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

Cheers
Steve

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:20

This might cause a few validation issues. Also keep in mind that the advertised shortcut you moved will not trigger self repair for the main feature after being moved (you could add the parent component to both features).

Personally I prefer to use Microsoft ActiveSetup in these cases, but this does require that the user logs off and back on before using the app.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul