This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Special logic combining Web Install and Full Insta

3 replies to this topic

Shekar

Shekar
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:04

Would it be possible to implement a Basic MSI Setup.exe that installs .NET 3.5 SP1 from the CDROM if it is present on the CDROM or otherwise from the Internet? This way we can avoid the long time needed to download it and also support the times where we want to distribute only the Setup.exe without the setup prerequisite. We would like to do this using only one release configuration if possible because adding release configurations lengthens our build and testing processes too much.

What I'd like to implement is :

IF .NET 3.5 SP1 FULL installer is available from the CDROM (the CD folder where Setup.exe was launched)
THEN:
Launch the .NET 3.5 SP1 FULL installer from the CDROM.
OTHERWISE:
Launch the .NET 3.5 SP1 WEB installer.
END IF

Thank you.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 15:37

This is an MSI question and not an InstallScript question, so moving the topic accordingly.

That certainly should be possible though as I just implemented such functionality in my InstallScript setup, but MSI is not my area of expertise.
user posted image

Shekar

Shekar
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 15:41

even i am trying to use install script functions. i am trying to use srcdir or srcdisk functions. if you have implemented that, could you please share your thoughts and the code you have used.

Thanks in advance.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 16:03

Well, to achieve this functionality, the basic concept for InstallScript code would be the following:
  • Check the registry for the presence of the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
  • If it's missing, then use SRCDIR to check for the full .NET setup along side of your product setup.
  • If it's also missing, then use CopyFile to download the web .NET setup to a temp directory.
  • Run the selected .NET setup.
Hope it helps.

Edited by Taco Bell, 19 April 2010 - 16:04.

user posted image