This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

"No Valid Sequence" error

2 replies to this topic

converge

converge
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 20:24

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to make a valid msp file for patching. I'm following the tutorial in the help file that comes with the windows Platform SDK on how to do it. Basically, here are my steps:

-Create an MSI with the Visual Studio 2003 wizard (installs ok)
-Create a second MSI that adds a new file (also installs ok)
-Create two administrative images of each MSI using "msiexec /a"
-Make a pcp file with Orca
-Use msimsp.exe to create an MSP with the pcp and admin images (seems to work ok, the log file shows the new file being found)
-Install the old msi
-Attempt to patch by calling "msiexec /p mypatch.msp REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=omus"

But here, I always receive the following error: "No valid sequence could be found for the set of patches." I've been going over all the files trying to make sure everything is correct but I have no idea what's wrong. I've tried to find info about this error but there doesn't seem to be much. Does anyone have any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 21:29

Looks like there's something wrong with the patch sequencing emtadata in your pcp file. Or the ProductCode or ProductVersion doesn't match maybe?

converge

converge
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 17:02

I actually figured out the problem, in case anyone else runs into it: The tutorials tell you that your PCP file should include a blank PatchSequence table, which is apparently necessary up to MSI 3.0. But as of MSI 3.1, having a blank PatchSequence table actually breaks the patch, and you need to have NO PatchSequence table in your PCP file if you want the default sequencing. I deleted the blank table and everything worked fine.