This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Batabase uninstallation from SQL server

4 replies to this topic

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 13:23

Hi all.
I have a question. My installation program creates database on SQL server. It requires Administrator user name and Administrator user password for this action. And all seems ok. But when I uninstalling my application it is necessary to uninstall Database with it. But UserInterface is turned off during Uninstall and I can't request Admin name and psw again. Cacheing Admin name and psw is not pleased cause of sequrity considerations.

Q:
How to uninstall database? Any ideas?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 15:14

You could encrypt the password. Or disable the "Remove" button in Add/Remove Programs control panel by setting the ARPNOREMOVE property, to force users to go through Modify which displays your user interface.

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:14

Thanks a lot, Stefan.
And when I set ARPNOREMOVE and disable the "Remove" button I'll need to remove my product through msi package? Because of this it will be able to show UI during uninstallation. And that's why I will be able to ask password again.
Am I right?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 15:58

Users would then use the Modify button and go through the MaintenanceWelcome-MaintenanceType dialogs to select uninstall, so your uninstall would run with full UI.
Note that users would stil be able to uninstall in silent mode, e.g. using:
msiexec.exe /x {ProductCode}
You could detect this (UILevel property) and abort the install if the password was not specified on the command line, so users could uninstall silently using:
msiexec.exe /X {ProductCode} PASSWORD=foo

nesesser

nesesser
  • Full Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:19

Thanks a lot!
It is a good idea.