This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor upgrade problems

4 replies to this topic

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 07:21

I'm trying to do a minor upgrade by reinstalling the product. My problem is that the reinstall only installs new files. It won't remove old and unneeded files.
I insert new files to the components and remove files from them. I don't add or remove any components or features.

You can use the newer package of my program for upgrading or installing. Both the old and the new packages have a same product code. So that if the older version is installed and I try to install the newer one the program goes to maintainance mode. Then you can select reinstall from there.

It is said in the help files that you must set REINSTALL=ALL / FEATURES LIST
REINSTALLMODE=vomus
Is this correct??

One more thing. I read from the help files that you must change the package code for every version of the program you make. If I do this the upgrade doesn't work. It just says that you have an other version of the product already installed or something like that and exits.

OKauhanen

OKauhanen
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 May 2001 - 11:45

It seems that it's not even possible to run the reinstall upgrade from maintainance mode. The installer copies new files as it's supposed to, but the version number of the program doesn't seem to change in the Add/Remove programs applet.. Does it have any impact that both of the versions have the same package code?

I still need help with the problem that reinstalling won't remove old useless files. Should I perform upgrading by some other means if I wan't to remove the old files?
If somebody knows how to get the reinstall minor upgrade to work from maintainance mode please reply. I'm trying to make my installer as user friendly as possible and it wouldn't be easy enough if you had to run the update from the command prompt with:
msiexec /i myinstall.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

arti

arti
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 05:57

I am getting same problem. I want to remove & unregister old unwanted dlls. if u got solution plz tell me also.

arti

arti
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2001 - 13:13

You can set  these properties in setup.ini file. And you can remove all your files using remove file table. For each folder you have to set a property.then make an entry for each file that you want to remove. its working. I am also working on the same. but my problem is that i want to unregister and remove unwanted dlls. I can remove them using remove file and removeregistry table. but I have to remove around 80 dlls. and it will be very complex to add registry entries for each dll.