This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Cashing previous installation

7 replies to this topic

vskoblit

vskoblit
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 03:36

Hi,
Please help resolving the following issue:

I'm using InstallShield 11 Express, installed on XP Pro.
I made updates to my project and recompiled the setup package.
The new package is being installed on Vista. It looks like that the system somehow remembers previously installed access database structure and the new one.
However, if I copy content of my project to some folder that is manually created,
everything runs just fine.

Please help. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Vadim

Edited by vskoblit, 03 February 2009 - 04:03.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 18:05

So you are installing an Access database (.mdb file) and want to overwrite it during an update? Did you add an entry in the Previous Versions panel of InstallShield Express?

vskoblit

vskoblit
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 22:52

Thank you for your reply Stefan. Yes, I'm istalling Access DB, but it does not even work without overwriting. I added a table and trying to install the package. Previous installation was uninstaled and all the files deleted. However, when I install the newly buiit package, the system does not see the new table. The strange thing is that if I copy content of the file into another dirrectory everything works fine. So, it can not be the code inside the soft I'm trying to install.
I have no idea what Previous Versions panel is and could not find it.
Thank you very much for your help
Vadim

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 15:45

Does your setup work properly when installed on a fresh machine (image) where the older version never was installed? I suspect that the old mdb file is still in your setup. Because you say it's coming back even after your deleted it.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 22:48

I suppose the problem could also be that the mdb file is not seen as a versioned file. This means that it will not be overwritten during a reinstall / upgrade since the create and modify data of the file will be different - and MSI interprets this as a data file that has changed and hence contain user data.

If it is OK to always delete the database for every install and then re-add it you could add a remove command to the RemoveFile table to remove the mdb before installing again.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:40

Stein - that was my first idea, too. But if I recall correctly, Express can only do Major Upgrades. And Vadim said:
Previous installation was uninstaled and all the files deleted.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 16:48

Could there be no key path set?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 13:38

Could there be no key path set?
I'm not sure but I guess that for non-PE files Express will use the directory as key, i.e. the .mdb file wouldn't be set as key path.
However, the file should still be removed during a Major Upgrade, and after that the new file should show up.