This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

how to compile an install and get a uniqe executab

5 replies to this topic

tycoates

tycoates
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 04:41

I have an install I would like to compile and have the setup.exe named something else. I thought if I compiled it into a single executable it would be ok, but this just expands and runs the setup.exe which will not work. Does anyone know how to get this setup.exe to be a different name. When I just rename it the install tries to go back to it and finds it is not there so it gives me a browse dialog.

Thanks.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:03

Not sure that's possible or why it is necessary.  From the user's perspective doing so through a single executable media or PackageForTheWeb is sufficient.
user posted image

tycoates

tycoates
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:15

We have gone to a managed environment with AD and Windows 2000.  We now block setup.exe and install.exe and repackage alot of software to use MSI technology, but there are a couple items I would like to just rename the setup.exe to something else instead of do the repackaging.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:47

Ah, gotcha.
user posted image

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 20:37

If you're using Win 2000 and AD you may be better off using a Basic MSI project and deploy via .msi file, without any setup.exe.

tycoates

tycoates
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 16:54

Yes, that's correct.  This was just something that has been around for quite awhile and gets called from the logon script.  I was just hoping there was some way around it besides converting to MSI.  Thanks.