This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Local cached package

1 reply to this topic

dxue

dxue
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 21:14

Hi there,

I am looking for an answer for what had puzzled me by Windows Installer Service's different behavior on Windows 2003 SP2 and Windows 2003 R2 SP2. Here is a recap of what I had discovered:

I have my own small app to drive installation of our software patches on the installing machine. One of the things this small app to do is to remove some of the Custom Actions from the locally cached msi of the original package first before running "msiexec /p" command line. I do not want these CAs to run during patching. This scheme works perfectly on Windows 2003 R2 machines. However, we just found out that it does not work on Windows 2003 SP2 machines. I got this from the log:

"Warning: Local cached package 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\24f88e.msi' could not be opened as a storage file."

Does anyone know the reason for the failure?

Much appreciated,

D

dxue

dxue
  • Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:32

I have identified the problem. I used CreateObject method in my program to instantiate the windows installer object. I need to make an explicit call to the Garbage Collector after I am done with the object before calling msiexec to launch my .msp.