This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Error -1603

3 replies to this topic

pwfraley

pwfraley
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 16:21

Hi,

I am trying to create an Update to our software and since we do have some very special cases I can not rely on the buildin update function.  

So I went and wrote my own update.  Everything goes well up until I call FeatureMoveData, when it gets up to 100% I get the -1603 error.

Please help me.  I looked thru this forum, but could not find any answers to a 1603 error (though there are a couple of questions).  The Msi.chm file does not offer much help here either.

TIA
Patrick

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 06 September 2002 - 17:23

1603 sipmly means that there wa a fatal error. To find the real error (which as a consequence is causing the 1603 exit) generate a verbose log file of your installation. See http://www.msifaq.com for help about creating a log file.

achin

achin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 19:41

I got the -1603 error when I use the CD media (i.e.: setup.exe) created by the media wizard; however, if I use the WEB media (i.e.: setup.exe) (with almost identical options/configuration, except couple of the CD only options), then the installation/de-installation went smoothly.

I also logged the CD installation proces, and I "guess" the following lines are the 1603 related:

MSI (s) (C0:94): Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (s) (C0:94): Note: 1: 2318 2: E:\InstallShield\MySetups\TEST\Product Configuration 1\CD\DiskImages\DISK1\TEST.msi
MSI (s) (C0:94): MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI © (18:98): Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI © (18:98): MainEngineThread is returning 1603
=== Verbose logging stopped: 10/30/2002  15:45:54 ===

Any suggestion/recommendation will be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Abe

achin

achin
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 21:53

Interesting find outs:

Scenario:
* InstallShield Developer 7.04 installed on C:\
* Project created on E:\
* Execute the CD media from E:\ (fail; error -1603)
* Execute the WEB media from E:\ (works)
* Copy the "Disk1" folder out from E:\ to C:\, then execute the CD media from C:\ (works)
* Share the project folder in E:\, then execute \\<hostname>\project_folder\...\Disk1\setup.exe  (works)

It just won't work directly from the InstallShield project (i.e.: click on the "Run Setup"/"Test Setup" OR click directly on the setup.exe from the E:\ ).

Still a little bit frustrated, but at least that I know the "work around".

-- Abe